International Students Under 18 Years of Age

International students under the age of 18 on arrival in Australia must have approved accommodation and welfare arrangements in place before a student visa can be issued. These arrangements are regulated by the Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA), as per Standard 5 (Younger Overseas Students) of the National Code 2018, to ensure student safety and wellbeing.

Option 1 - Living in Australia under a Welfare and Accommodation Arrangement approved by Curtin University (fees apply)

This option must be selected by students who will not be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian; or do not have a DHA approved relative living in Perth. Under this arrangement students have access to the following accommodation and welfare services:


Accommodation Provider: Location: Recommended for:
Homestay Accommodation arranged by Talkabout Tours Perth Metropolitan area English Language Courses, Diplomas,
Undergraduate Programs
On campus accommodation provided by Curtin Housing Services Perth Campus Undergraduate Programs

Welfare Services

Curtin University’s approved welfare services provider is ISA Student Advocates. ISA specialises in providing support, security and advocacy services to international students during their study time in Australia. They have over 20 years’ experience working with international students and education providers across Australia.

Option 2 - Living in Australia in an accommodation and welfare arrangement approved by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

This option is for students who will be living in Australia with a parent or a DHA approved adult relative. Under this option the University will not issue the ‘Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare’ letter (CAAW), as the accommodation and welfare arrangements are approved directly by the DHA. Please refer to the DHA for more information on eligible relatives and Student Guardian Visas.

Confirming Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements

Students and parents are required to complete the Under 18 Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form and return it via email to when they are accepting their offer.