What to bring
You’ll need to bring your Letter of Offer, original or certified copies of your qualifications and your passport. Ensure that you’ve packed clothing to keep you comfortable during Perth’s hot summers and cool winters and have access to at least AUD$3,300 to get settled. Some students find it useful to have a camera and laptop.
Moving to a new country can be both exciting and daunting. The following information will help you pack the things you need to get settled in Perth.
Hear what our students have to say about what to bring with you to Perth
You will need to bring the following documents:
- Letter of Offer
- original or certified copies of your qualifications
- driver’s licence (if you have one)
- travel documents and passport
- medical history or prescriptions if you require ongoing medication.
Check your passport expiry date before departure as renewing a passport in Australia can take some time.
Most students wear comfortable, casual clothes to class each day. In Perth, students generally wear t-shirts, shorts and skirts during the hot summer months, and jeans, warm jumpers and a waterproof jacket during the winter months. A bathing suit will be handy if you plan to swim in a swimming pool or at the beach.
Bring your camera if you have one, to capture all of your Australian experiences. Although there are computer labs on campus, you may appreciate bringing your own laptop to complete your assignments and for internet access at wireless networking locations on and off campus.
- Check that your electronics are compatible with Australian voltage (220-240V 50Hz).
- Buy an Australian adapter if you require one. Australian plugs are the same as those in New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Solomon Islands, and Papua New Guinea; although slightly different, Chinese plugs will also fit Australian sockets.
Most accommodation options, except homestay, do not include homewares such as cooking utensils, sheets and blankets. You may choose to bring some of these items with you. Alternatively, homewares can be purchased from a number of different stores at varying prices. You can also look for second-hand items on Gumtree.
We recommend you bring at least AUD$800 and have access to a further AUD$2,500 when you arrive to get yourself set up in Perth. Once you arrive, you can set up an Australian bank account and transfer money into it from your overseas account.
Items you cannot bring into Australia
- Check the Department of Agriculture website for information about restricted biological goods, including food, plant and animal matter.
- Check the Department of Customs and Border Protection Service website for information about other restricted and prohibited items, including currency, medicines, drugs and weapons.