The Study Abroad program allows you to study at a Curtin campus for one or two semesters.
You can apply to Curtin University as a study abroad student if you are attending any recognised education institution in a country outside of Australia. Study Abroad is also open to students enrolled at one of Curtin’s partner institutions as an alternative to student exchange. Applications are open all year round.
As a Study Abroad student, you are responsible for meeting all costs associated with your study including tuition, accommodation, living expenses, travel, visa costs and compulsory health insurance.
See what our students say about their Curtin experience
Choose what you want to study
Curtin offers more than 100 courses in applied, practical subjects with a strong emphasis on industry links and international, cultural and Indigenous awareness. Curtin’s courses are designed with careers in mind. You can get involved in mentoring programs, voluntary work and industry placements to help you gain the knowledge and skills employers look for.
Find out more
2. Ensure you meet the entry requirements: including unit prerequisites and English language requirements.
To study at Curtin, you must meet Curtin University’s admission standards, including unit prerequisites and English language requirements.
Curtin University courses are taught in English and there are minimum English language requirements you must meet. If you don’t have the required level of English proficiency, you could apply to enrol in a Curtin English program to help you improve your English language skills.
You can demonstrate your English skills through recognised tests and qualifications, including the International English Language Testing system (IELTS), Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL) and through qualifications in English.
How to apply
To apply for the Study Abroad program, you must follow our eight point process:
1. Apply for accommodation If you wish to live on campus, it is recommended that you submit an accommodation application
If you wish to live on campus, it is recommended that you submit an accommodation application as soon as you decide to apply for Student Exchange at Curtin – even before you have been accepted. Application is free and by applying early, you’ll be more likely to secure your housing preference.
If you require housing for semester one and semester two in the same calendar year (Feb – Dec):
You can apply for on-campus housing for both semesters at the same time.
If you require housing for semester two, followed by semester one in the next calendar year (July – June):
You can only apply for semester two (July – Nov). You must reapply for on-campus housing for semester one at the end of semester two.
On-campus housing is not guaranteed. Curtin’s Housing Advisory Services can also help you with advice and assistance.
Payments for your on-campus room are required before you arrive.
Download and complete a Study Abroad application form [online form].
3. Submit your application form to the Study Abroad and Exchange Office Your application form must be submitted together with three other documents
Your application form must be submitted together with:
- a copy of your academic transcript (in English)
- a copy of your passport details page. Please note: Your student visa will be linked to your passport. You must ensure your passport is valid and is the passport that you will travel on.
- proof you can meet our English language requirements as approved by the academic board.
Please note: some Health Sciences units may require health screening.
4. Receive an offer for a place at Curtin If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer
Your application will be assessed and processed upon receipt of your application and supporting documents. If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer.
5. Confirm your place at Curtin You confirm your place by accepting your offer and returning the required documents
You confirm your place by accepting your offer. Please return the following documents via email:
- evidence of your OSHC payment – please note exceptions*
- receipt of tuition fee payment
- enrolment form
Please note: We are unable to accept forms with an electronic signature.
*Exceptions: you do not need OSHC if you are:
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
- a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.
- For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website.
You will then receive your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).
Study Abroad students are unable to self-enrol or withdraw from units. Once enrolments are open, our office will enrol you into your units. Most units are valued at 25 credits, however there are some 12.5 credit and 50 credit units. A full-time load at Curtin University is 75 credits (usually three units) or 100 credits (usually four units) per semester.
Please ensure your home university has approved your units and study load.
You will need to complete an enrolment form and return this by email to our office. Once we have enrolled you, you will be required to register for your classes and complete your timetable. We will provide you with easy-to-follow instructions on how to complete your timetable at this time. If you have a timetable clash, you will need to let us know and in most cases you will need to select an alternative unit to enrol into.
You will have the opportunity to change your units during the first week of classes but Curtin University does not permit students to commence classes after the end of the first week of semester.
During your study abroad, your tuition fees are paid directly to Curtin instead of your home university.
You are also responsible for covering any costs associated with your Study Abroad, including accommodation, living expenses, airfares and other travel expenses, your Australian student visa and compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
The 2019 study abroad tuition fee is AUD$9,900 per semester*
* Study Abroad fees are correct as at September 2019 and are subject to change
Before you leave home
See our Moving to Australia to find out what you need to do before you leave.
For more information about Study Abroad at Curtin, contact the Study Abroad and Exchange Office.