Student Exchange

Notice in regards to current COVID-19 travel restrictions

In light of the ongoing travel restrictions and border closures, Curtin and our branch campuses will be suspending our exchange program for Semester 2 2021. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as they become available.

The Student Exchange program is ideal if your university has a formal Student Exchange agreement with Curtin. Curtin’s agreement with your university means you don’t need to pay tuition fees to Curtin – just continue to pay tuition fees to your home university as normal. Through the program, you can study at Curtin University for one or two semesters.

Your International student exchange office will liaise with the Curtin Go Global team about your placement at Curtin. Once your application is accepted, our office will provide you with support and information to assist your arrival. When you arrive at Curtin, you will have access to our full range of student services and continued assistance from Curtin Go Global.

To find out if your university has a student exchange agreement with Curtin, contact your university’s student exchange office.

Find out more about Perth

What our students say

How to apply

Applications for the Student Exchange program are subject to the following deadlines:

  • For a first semester placement (February to June), your application must be received by October 15 in the year prior to your placement.
  • For a second semester placement (July to November), your application must be received by April 15 in the year of your placement.
  • If you are unable to meet these deadlines, please contact the Curtin Go Global team and we will advise you if we are able to accommodate and process your application.

To apply for the Student Exchange program, you must:

1. Be nominated by your home university Please liaise with your home university to ascertain the process

Please liaise with your home university to ascertain the process you need to follow for nomination.

2. Complete a Student Exchange application form Your application form must be submitted together with

After your nomination, you will be sent the application details.

You will need to prepare to upload the following documents as part of the application:

  • A copy of your academic transcript (in English)
  • A copy of your passport details page.
    • Please note: your student visa will be linked to your passport. You must ensure your passport is valid and is the passport that you will travel on.
  • Proof you can meet our English language requirements as approved by the academic board.

Please note: some Health Sciences units may require health screening.

3. Receive an offer for a place at Curtin If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer

Your application will be assessed and processed upon receipt of your application and supporting documents. If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer.

4. Confirm your place at Curtin You confirm your place by accepting your offer

You confirm your place by accepting your offer. Please return the following documents via email:

  1. Acceptance form
  2. Evidence of your OSHC payment – please note exceptions*
  3. Enrolment form

(Please note: We are unable to accept forms with an electronic signature).

The pre-departure guide will provide you with all the information you will need to prepare for your Study Abroad experience.

*Exceptions: You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia

For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

5. Receive your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)

Receive your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

6. Apply for accommodation If you wish to live on campus, it is recommended that you submit an accommodation application

If you wish to live on campus, it is recommended that you submit an accommodation application as soon as you decide to apply for Student Exchange at Curtin – even before you have been accepted. Application is free and by applying early, you’ll be more likely to secure your housing preference.


If you require housing for semester one and semester two in the same calendar year (Feb – Dec):

You can apply for on-campus housing for both semesters at the same time.

If you require housing for semester two, followed by semester one in the next calendar year (July – June):

You can only apply for semester two (July – Nov). You must reapply for on-campus housing for semester one at the end of semester two.


On-campus housing is not guaranteed. Curtin’s Housing Advisory Services can also help you with advice and assistance.

Payments for your on-campus room are required before you arrive.

8. Enrol at Curtin

Student exchange students are unable to self-enrol or withdraw from units.  Once enrolments are open, our office will enrol you into your units. Most units are valued at 25 credits, however there are some 12.5 credit and 50 credit units. A full-time load at Curtin University is 75 credits (usually three units) or 100 credits (usually four units) per semester.

Please ensure your home university has approved your units and study load.

You will need to complete an enrolment form and return this by email to our office. Once we have enrolled you, you will be required to register for your classes and complete your timetable. We will provide you with easy-to-follow instructions on how to complete your timetable at this time. If you have a timetable clash, you will need to let us know and in most cases you will need to select an alternative unit to enrol into.

You will have the opportunity to change your units during the first week of classes but Curtin University does not permit students to commence classes after the end of the first week of semester.


During your exchange, you will continue to pay your tuition fees to your home institution.

You are responsible for covering any costs associated with your exchange, including accommodation, living expenses, airfares and other travel expenses, your Australian student visa and compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Before you leave home

See our Moving to Australia section to find out what you need to do before you leave.

Contact us

For more information about student exchange at Curtin, contact the Curtin Go Global.