See if you can find an answer to your question about Student Exchange, Study Abroad or Service Abroad in the frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.

What are the application deadlines?

Student exchange:

Applications for the student exchange program are subject to the following deadlines:

  • For a first semester placement (February to June), your application must be received by 15 October in the year prior to your placement.
  • For a second semester placement (July to November), your application must be received by 15 April in the year of your placement.
  • If you are unable to meet these deadlines, please contact the Go Global Office and we will advise you if we are able to accommodate and process your application.

Study abroad and service abroad: applications are open all year round.

Do I have to pay fees to Curtin?

Study abroad and service abroad students must pay fees to Curtin University. These fees are paid directly or by way of your study abroad provider program.

Study abroad students may be eligible to apply for an inbound study abroad scholarship to assist with funding.

You are also responsible for covering any costs associated with your study abroad or service abroad including accommodation, living expenses, airfares and other travel expenses, your Australian student visa and compulsory overseas student health cover (OSHC).

How much does it cost to live in Perth?

Find out how much it costs to live in Perth for singles and families on our planning your budget page.

Note: this is intended as a guide only. Costs will vary depending on individual tastes and interests.

Can I work in Perth?

Your student visa gives you permission to work in Australia once you have started your course. You can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester and unlimited hours during semester breaks. However, you shouldn’t rely on your earnings to pay your tuition fees or other living expenses.

Find out more on our part-time work guide page.

What kind of visa should I apply for as an exchange or study abroad student

You will need to apply for an Australian student visa to study in Australia as a study abroad, service abroad or exchange student, and meet all the visa conditions.

There are different student visa subclasses. As a study abroad or exchange student, you should apply for subclass 500.

As part of your visa conditions, you must enrol in 75 credits as a minimum enrolment and 100 credits as a maximum enrolment.

Find out more about student visas.

What is OSHC?

Overseas student health cover (OSHC) is a specific type of health insurance that international students must have before arriving in Australia. It includes insurance cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).

As an international student, it’s a condition of your student visa that you obtain OSHC for the length of your student visa. You must purchase OSHC from a government-approved provider before arriving in Australia.

For further information and a list of approved OSHC providers, see the health insurance page.

Is there housing available at Curtin University?

Curtin’s on-campus student accommodation in Perth ranges from AUD$168 per week to AUD$336 per week, with options to live with flatmates or in a studio.

Curtin also offers a free Housing Advisory Service.

For more information, see the accommodation page.

How easy is it to travel around Perth?

You can travel to the Perth campus by car, bus or bicycle. The campus is located only six kilometres from Perth city centre and has its own bus terminal. Buses run every 15 minutes during the day, connecting the university with train stations, shopping centres and the city. There is a free hail-and-ride bus service for students living in the local suburbs.

Perth’s transport network allows you to access popular destinations including Fremantle, Kings Park and Perth’s beaches and you can travel into the heart of the city by bus, train, car or ferry. As a student, there are travel concessions and you’ll be able to enjoy discounted – and sometimes free – public transport with a SmartRider transport card.

See the parking and transport page for more information.