Subjects at Curtin are called units (you may call them courses or modules). Generally, one unit is worth 25 credits. However, some units may be worth 12.5 credits or 50 credits.
The minimum enrolment is 75 credits per semester and the maximum is 100 credits per semester.
You must have approval from Curtin for each unit you wish to take. Curtin will check that you meet the prerequisites for each unit before your enrolment.
Study Areas & Selecting Units To Study
Curtin University offers more than 100 courses in applied, practical subjects with a strong emphasis on industry links and international, cultural and Indigenous awareness. Curtin’s courses are designed with careers in mind. You can get involved in mentoring programs, voluntary work and industry placements to help you gain the knowledge and skills employers look for.
The study abroad and student exchange programs at Curtin allow you to choose units from any study area, with restrictions on nursing, occupational therapy, pharmacy and physiotherapy, which require you to be undertaking a degree in these fields. Law and Medicine are excluded from the exchange program.
Before selecting your units, we recommend you:
- consider the range of pre-approved units
- read the Curtin unit description
- carefully check the prerequisites for the units that interest you and/or check you have sufficient background to study the unit(s) as some may presume prior knowledge
- check the units are offered in the semester you intend to study at Curtin and are offered at the Bentley Campus in Perth
- ensure your home university approves your study choices if required.
If you choose units that have pre-requisites your selection will be sent to the faculty for approval. Enrolment into units are subject to availability and are at the discretion of the faculty.
It is your responsibility to arrange credit transfer with your home university.
Changing your units
You may change units during the first week of semester. After the first week, you may withdraw from a class (as long as you maintain at least 75 credits) but you are unable to add a new class.