Subsidised English language program
Students who need to improve their English proficiency before beginning their University studies may be eligible to receive AUD$6,295 toward their English tuition.
Chat to a course advisor
If you need more information about this program or have any other enquiry, please fill out our enquiry form and one of our course advisors will get back to you soon.
International students who have received an offer to study at Curtin University in Perth, which is conditional on meeting Curtin’s English requirement.
Students who wish to study the program but already meet Curtin’s minimum English requirements (i.e. there is no condition on their offer) are welcome to do so, but program fees apply.
If your English tuition exceeds the cost of AUD$6,295 you’ll need to pay for the extra tuition. You can find out how many weeks of English training you need by using our English pathway planner.
All Curtin English programs can be packaged with your mainstream course for visa applications.
What you will learn
The program covers speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary. You will also learn strategies to improve your personal study skills and general academic language, to organise academic essays effectively, and to communicate effectively in discussions, seminars and presentations.
You will also develop your academic reading and listening strategies and learn to use complex grammar with greater accuracy.
The program also provides an introduction to Curtin’s course outlines and student systems, and includes faculty tours.
How to apply
If you’re eligible for the free English Language Program, you will receive instructions on how to apply when you receive your letter of offer to study at Curtin.
- You must be an international, full fee-paying, student who has received a conditional offer to study at Curtin (it is not available to Australian citizens or Permanent Residents).
- You must have not met Curtin’s entry requirements for English language and must commence your mainstream studies at Curtin’s Perth campus within 1 year of the start date specified in your Letter of Offer.
- You must be undertaking a Curtin English Language Program to meet your English entry requirements at Curtin.
- You must be studying a full-time Masters or undergraduate or Higher Degree by Research program for at least 1 year and for a minimum of 200 credit points.
- You must progress to your mainstream Curtin course and maintain your enrolment as an international, full fee-paying, student for at least one semester of your Curtin mainstream course. If you do not progress to, or do not maintain your enrolment for at least one semester of your Curtin mainstream course, then the Contribution will be cancelled and you will be responsible for payment of the full tuition fees for your English Language Program subject to any exceptions under the Curtin English refund policy.
- If you progress to your Curtin mainstream course via Curtin College, the Contribution will only be confirmed when you have maintained your enrolment as an international, full fee-paying, student for at least one semester of your Curtin mainstream course. It is not available during your time at Curtin College.
- If your English Language Program costs less than the Contribution, you cannot apply the contribution to any other international student expense. The Contribution will only be applied to tuition, and enrolment, fees.
- Curtin will not reissue this offer if you have to extend your English Language Program due to unsuccessful English academic progression. If you are unsuccessful in your initial English Language Program, you must pay for any further English courses you choose to study.
- You must pay your mainstream course deposit payment amount only as stated in your Letter of Offer at time of accepting the packaged Curtin offer. If you do not progress to your mainstream Curtin course or do not maintain your enrolment for at least one semester of your Curtin mainstream course, Curtin will be entitled to deduct from the mainstream course deposit paid – the Contribution, and any amount Curtin is entitled to deduct pursuant to the Curtin English refund policy, (1see exception below for sponsored students).
- The Contribution cannot be spent or cashed in any other way by the Student.
- You must accept the offer to study within 4 weeks of the Letter of Offer to qualify for the Contribution (different requirements may apply to sponsored students).
- This offer will not be extended beyond its prescribed duration or amount unless notified otherwise by Curtin in writing.
- This offer cannot be transferred to a Curtin campus or partner outside Western Australia, or to another university or educational institution.
- Curtin can cancel this offer if you do not accept your Letter of Offer or enrol in your Curtin mainstream course by the date specified.
 (a) If the sponsor covers preliminary English Language Program fees under the sponsorship, the sponsor will be fully invoiced for the English Language Program as per the sponsorship length. The student will need to sign this offer, as the student will need to meet the terms & conditions of this offer before the sponsor is eligible for offset of the Contribution, which will be arranged with the sponsor once the student enrols and maintains their enrolment for one semester of their Curtin mainstream course.
(b) If the sponsor does NOT cover the preliminary English Language Program course fees under the sponsorship, the student is required to (i) pay the fee deposit for the English Language Program upfront; (ii) sign this offer; and (iii) seek a refund for the Contribution once the student enrols and maintains their enrolment for one semester of their Curtin mainstream course.
- You must remain enrolled as an international student for the duration of your English Language Program and at least one semester of your Curtin mainstream course. If your citizenship changes during this period, you will not receive the Contribution.
- You must not breach the conditions outlined in your Letter of Offer.
- You must not take a leave of absence or withdraw from any unit or your mainstream Curtin course.
- Curtin must not terminate your studies.
- You must abide by Curtin’s policies, Student Charter and not be found guilty of serious misconduct.
CRICOS code: ELB 003896G