Free English Language Program
If you don’t meet our English language requirements, you may be eligible for our Free 10 week English Language Program.
The program is available to all international students who have received an offer to study at Curtin in Perth, who need to improve their English proficiency before beginning their studies. Passing the course satisfies Curtin University’s English language requirement.
Chat to a course advisor
If you need more information about this program or have any other enquiry, please fill out our enquiry form and one of our course advisors will get back to you soon.
What you will learn
The program covers speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary. You will also learn strategies to improve your personal study skills and general academic language, to organise academic essays effectively, and to communicate effectively in discussions, seminars and presentations.
You will also develop your academic reading and listening strategies and learn to use complex grammar with greater accuracy.
The program also provides an introduction to Curtin’s course outlines and student systems, and includes faculty tours.
International students who have received an offer to study at Curtin University in Perth, which is conditional on meeting Curtin’s English requirement.
Students who wish to study the program but already meet Curtin’s minimum English requirements (i.e. there is no condition on their offer) are welcome to do so, but program fees apply.
If you require more than 10 weeks’ English tuition to meet our requirements, fees apply for the extra tuition. You can find out how many weeks of English training you need by using our English pathway planner.
All Curtin English programs can be packaged with your mainstream course for visa applications.
How to apply
If you’re eligible for the free English Language Program, you will receive instructions on how to apply when you receive your letter of offer to study at Curtin.
- This offer is only for international, full fee-paying, students with a conditional offer to study at Curtin.
- This offer is only for students who have not met the Curtin’s entry requirements for English language and who commence studies at Curtin’s Western Australia campus from 2019.
- This offer is only for students who are undertaking the Curtin English language pathway to meet English entry to Curtin.
- This offer is only for students studying a full-time master, undergraduate or higher degree by research program for at least 1 year/200 credits.
- This offer is available for all international, full fee-paying students with a conditional offer to study at Curtin regardless of the length of their English pathway, but only a maximum of 10 weeks will be free. This will be the last 10 weeks of the student’s pathway. If the student does not progress to the mainstream Curtin course and maintain their enrolment for at least one semester, the student will be responsible for payment of the tuition fee for the English program unless exceptions under the Curtin English refund policy apply.
- An enrolment fee waiver of AU$270 will be applicable for those undertaking the 10 week English Language Program only. All other students (i.e. up to 10 weeks of Gateway, 17 weeks ELB, etc.) will be required to pay the enrolment fee in order to enrol in their course.
- Streamlined countries: Students are required to pay the ELB/Gateway English deposit payment amount only as stated in their Letter of Offer at time of accepting the Curtin English offer and the amount will be credited to their student fee account upon commencement of their mainstream course to offset tuition fees for their mainstream course, (*see the below exception).
- Regular countries: Students are required to pay the mainstream course deposit payment amount only as stated on their Letter of Offer at time of accepting the Curtin English offer and the amount will be credited to their student fee account upon commencement of their mainstream course to offset tuition fees for their mainstream course, (*see the below exception).
*Note: with the exception of those students who are sponsored by a government or an organisation:
- (i) Whereby the sponsor covers preliminary English under the sponsorship, then students will NOT need to pay the fee deposit upfront (as the University will communicate directly with your sponsor once you enrol).
- (ii) Whereby the sponsor does NOT cover the preliminary English, the student will need to pay the fee for the English program upfront. The student can then seek a refund for the free 10 week ELB when they enrol in the main course.
- The credit granted can only be used to offset tuition fees and cannot be spent or cashed in any other way.
- The offer only covers tuition and enrolment fees and does not cover any other international student expense.
- The student has to accept the offer to study within 4 weeks of the Letter of Offer to qualify for the Free 10 week English Language Program (with the exception of those students sponsored by a government or an organisation).
- This offer will not be extended beyond its prescribed duration or amount unless notified otherwise by Curtin in writing.
- This offer cannot be reissued if student has to repeat the ELB program or Gateway English program due to unsuccessful English academic progression.
- This offer cannot be transferred to a Curtin campus or partner outside Western Australia, or to another university.
- This offer can be revoked if the recipient does not accept their Letter of Offer or enrol in their course by the date specified
- This offer is not available to Australian citizens and Permanent Residents.
To retain the credit granted, the student:
- Must remain enrolled in initial course and major of study unless approved by Curtin.
- Must achieve required ELB or Gateway English exit score and continue on to the main course of study.
- Cannot breach the conditions outlined in this letter.
- Cannot take a leave of absence or withdraw from their units or course of study.
- Cannot be terminated from studies.
- Must abide by Curtin’s policies, Student Charter and not be found guilty of serious misconduct.
Should any of the above conditions not be met by the student:
- The benefits may be removed/revoked at Curtin’s discretion and the student will not receive the credit.
- The student will not be eligible for a refund of monies paid, to the equivalent value of the 10 week English Language Program.
- The student will be responsible for the payment of the tuition fee.
CRICOS code: ELB 003896G