See if you can find an answer to your question about pre-departure in the frequently asked questions (FAQs) below.

Does Curtin have a meet-and-greet service at the airport?

Yes, Curtin International provides an airport reception service (ARS) for international students who are commencing their first semester at Curtin.

  • this service is offered to students who have made their own accommodation arrangements at a hotel within the Perth central business district (CBD). We do not transfer students to either private accommodation or Curtin on-campus accommodation. As conditions apply to the airport reception service, please contact Curtin International at to confirm if this service is available to you.
  • does not transfer students to private residential addresses.
  • is not available to accompanying relatives or friends (spouse and/or dependants excepted).

As part of the service, you will receive a Welcome Pack containing information about orientation and other activities at Curtin. To book the ARS, complete the ARS Booking Form available on the Forms page and forward it to Curtin International once travel details are finalised.

What do I do if I need help finding a place to live in Perth?

Curtin has a free housing service, located with the Curtin International office on the Bentley campus. Housing Services provide students with impartial information about on and off campus housing alternatives. They can also arrange accommodation at Curtin’s remote campuses. Visit the Housing Services website for more information.

What should I bring with me to Perth?

For a full list of what you need to bring to Perth, read our Packing Guide.

We recommend you visit the Department of Agriculture website for information detailing Australian biosecurity requirements and what you can bring into Australia.

How much money do I need to bring?

The amount of money you bring with you is a personal decision; however, you must make sure you have enough funds to cover your bond/rent and moving in expenses for your accommodation on arrival. You should also have money to cover temporary accommodation expenses (hotel) if applicable, meal costs, and transport costs (buses, taxis).

Generally, it is advisable to have easy access to AUD$2500 to cover moving expenses and AUD$800 in travellers cheques or Australian currency to cover incidental expenses such as hotel, meals and transport for your first few days in Perth. You should not bring large amounts of cash with you – please ensure you bring the bulk of your funds in traveller’s cheques or as a bank draft or money order.

Is the orientation program compulsory?

Yes! The orientation program is one week prior to the commencement of each semester and all new international students are required to attend.

The program offers social opportunities for new students to meet and have fun together and also provides essential information to new students about visa conditions, overseas student health cover, on-campus services and much more.

What does enrolment mean? When will I be enrolled?

When we talk about ‘enrolment’, we are referring to the process students go through to pick out the subjects (units) they wish to study. It is only when a student is ‘enrolled’ that they officially become a student of the University.

Enrolment usually happens during Orientation Week, and each school of study is responsible for coordinating enrolment for their international students with help from Curtin International.

Some students are able to enrol offshore before they arrive in Perth. However, students who enrol offshore must still attend their enrolment briefing during Orientation Week to obtain important information about their study plan.

How do I know where and when Orientation Week will be?

You should receive information about enrolment briefings and Orientation Week together with your Letter of Offer from us.

You may also like to download a copy of the latest orientation program from our Orientation website.

Does Curtin offer any free study support classes to international students during semester?

Yes, the Learning Centre provides the following free online and academic workshops throughout the year for undergraduate and postgraduate Curtin students:

  • Little Red Writing Book: PowerPlus Writing – Sentences (Better sentences)
  • Little Blue Writing Book: PowerPlus Writing – Essays (Ace your written assignments)
  • Little Gold Writing Book: PowerPlus Writing – Good grammar (Better academic language & grammar)
  • PowerPlus Academic Integrity (Avoiding plagiarism: academic integrity)
  • Study Skills: Time management

Is there a Muslim Prayer Facility at Curtin?

Yes, prayer facilities for followers of the Islamic faith are available on the Bentley campus providing Muslim students with a place for daily prayer and gatherings with fellow Muslim students.

Is Halal food available at Curtin?

Yes, Halal food is available at the Curtin Bentley campus. More information is available from the Curtin Student Guild website.

What other on-campus facilities are available to students at Curtin?

Curtin offers a range of services and facilities on and off campus to enhance university life. Free and confidential advice is offered to provide support for study and learning strategies, career and culture as well as information on student associations and localities of essential services.

Find out more on the campus life page.