Skip to content
Curtin University

Visas and health cover

Enquire here
Visa details and health cover information

Studying in Australia.

Before you pack your bags and come to Australia, there are some important steps you need to take. In order to be an international student in Australia, you must apply for a student visa and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). By completing each of the necessary steps, your move to Curtin will be easy.

— Begin viewing full visa information.

Select a heading below to see brief, important details.


Students who are under 18 years of age when they begin studies at Curtin will need to nominate a guardian before they can accept their offer of a place. They are also required to provide guardianship information to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) in order to obtain a student visa to enter Australia. The guardian will have legal responsibility for the student's welfare in Australia until they turn 18 years of age, after which they will be considered an adult by Australian law.

Curtin requires students under 18 to complete a Guardianship/Carer Form, nominating the arrangements made for guardianship. This form will need to be returned to Curtin International in order for the eCoE to be issued.

To download the Guardianship/Carer Form, visit our Forms page. For further information on guardianship, visit the DIBP website.

Current international students who are under 18 years of age will need to maintain contact with the international student adviser. Visit the Current Students website for more information.

Students who wish to work in Australia do not need a specific visa to work, as the student visa (subclass 573) has work rights. Once you have commenced study, your student visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester and unlimited hours during semester breaks.

For Higher Degree by Research students (subclass 574 student visa holders), you have unlimited work rights after you start your Masters by Research or Doctorate course. However, while you are undertaking any preliminary courses, such as an English language course, you can only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.

For further information, visit the Department of Immigration and Citzenship website.

Student Central coordinates paperwork for full-degree Canadian students using various Canadian financial aid programs to study in Australia.

Further information can be obtained from the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office, Student Central. Telephone +61 8 9266 2992.